6 great ways to boost client communication
By Charlie Britten
19 Aug 2019
Many lawyers can do their main task very well but fall short when it comes to letting the client know what is going on. This is more of a problem than might be appreciated. After all, legal cases are usually stressful affairs and a lack of updates can leave people worrying even more about their situation.
Alternatively, some clients may simply feel annoyed at a lack of communication and feel they are not being treated as well as they should be.
Either way, neglecting this aspect of customer service is something that could stop clients coming back, so if your legal firm is good at communicating and keeping people up-to-date, you will find this a great way of retaining custom. As happy clients will tell their friends and family, this can also help bring in more business for you.
The following are six ways you can do this and put yourself ahead of the pack:
Know your customer
Every firm needs a buyer persona as part of its marketing efforts. This is an archetype of the kind of person they want to target. This is also very important when looking to improve communication with your clients.
Part of your buyer persona will relate to matters like the lifestyles, use of media and social media and amount of spare time your customers have. This will shape the way you communicate with them. For instance, someone busy at work during the day may be better to contact by email than over the phone.
By understanding the nature of your clients and their needs, you can effectively apply the following principles.
Check if they have any special needs
When setting out to represent a client, it is important to check if there are any impediments to their capacity to communicate.
- If they have hearing or sight-related disabilities this will determine whether you send emails or ring them.
- In addition, be aware of any language issues clients have.
- For those who are not native English speakers, the provision of translated documents may be critical in helping them understand everything that is going on.
Offer multiple options
Whether your clients have any specific needs or not, it is wise to offer a range of means by which you can contact them and vice versa.
- Some may simply prefer to be contacted by text or email
- Others might want to talk over the phone.
- At the same time, there may be ways in which some people prefer not to be contacted, so providing plenty of choice is the best way.
In addition, by providing several ways you can be contacted, clients can also follow up progress and ask questions more easily.
Boost your online presence
A strong online presence is a great way of providing information. Your website can provide many answers through a ‘frequently asked questions’ section, which could help tackle some queries right away. It should also provide contact details in case a client needs them and cannot find those you have supplied already.
- It offers another way to engage with clients, can host news and information and, just as importantly, can attract useful feedback
- Social media can be used to establish ways to improve services
- It also enables happy clients to sing your praises and help attract more custom to your firm.
Be clear and ditch the jargon
It is very important to make sure your communication is clear and easy to understand. Since legal documents are full of terminology that the average lay person will not easily understand, those reading them may get confused.
There is no better way of reassuring your clients that you are doing everything you can for them than by carefully explaining all that is going on. This means breaking down the details of the process into simple terms so that they fully understand the situation.
Include communication in your KPIs and customer promises
- By including commitments to communication in this, it can ensure the task of keeping clients up-to-date with their cases is given the priority it needs.
- As in any service provision, the best approach is to under-promise and over-deliver; so by going further than the minimum you have guaranteed and giving them additional information you can delight them with your commitment to good communication.
How we can help
At BeUniqueness, we know how important it is to communicate effectively with your target market. This is true with every part of the journey clients take from first being aware of a product or service, right through to purchasing and beyond.
By using lots of ways to engage with clients you will find your service is enhanced and your customers truly appreciate it - not least if your communication skills are much better than those of your rivals.