Successful branding involves several elements, but brand positioning is a critical one in order to ensure your firm has a clear and distinct identity in a crowded marketplace.
Branding has many elements, but brand position is one of the most important. It is the thing that gives your firm a distinctive position in the minds of your customers and helps it stand out from the competition.
This can be particularly important because:
- There may be plenty of other firms around offering something similar to you
- You can be sure they will be working on their own brand positioning
- Your unique selling points (USPs) can offer you a way of standing out
What can you do to create a clear brand position?
Creating a clear brand position is a process that requires plenty of research to establish exactly where you can find your niche:
- Find out who your main competitors are
- You need to see what your competitors are doing with their branding
- Establish what USPs you have and consider how to highlight them
- Come up with a distinctive idea to position your brand that stands out from the rest
- Develop a brand positioning statement
Why do you need a brand positioning statement?
A brand positioning statement will cover four elements:
- The sector you are competing in
- The type of customer you are targeting (known as the buyer persona)
- The main reason customers should opt for you instead of your competitors
- Why people can believe that you will deliver on your brand’s promise
This statement is the basis of all your positioning activity. It is from this that other elements of your brand, like your taglines, symbols and so on should be based to help create that clear image of a distinctive brand.
Why might you need to change your brand position?
It is important to remember, however, that nothing stands still in branding and marketing. Over time you may need to change your brand positioning for a range of reasons:
- You become less distinctive as others copy what you do or have every similar ideas
- Your target market shrinks due to changes in consumer tastes and attitudes
- Your own range of products or services change, which may help you reposition yourself for a different market
How we can help
At BeUniqueness, we know branding is not a simple process, but something that requires expertise and a coherent effort to ensure every element of your firm’s branding speaks with the same voice. With our help, we can enable you to establish a clear brand position so that you can truly stand out from your rivals in a crowded marketplace.